iMessage was one of new features introduced in iOS 5 at today’s WorldWide Developer Conference 2011 Keynote. iMessage is Apple’s new messaging service for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, which will allow iOS 5 users to send text, photos, videos, contacts, locations and group messages to their family and friends who have an iOS device.
Here are some of the features of iMessage:
- iMessage essentially brings the Message app for iPhone to iPad and iPod Touch users.
- iMessage service is built into the Message app so iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users can send unlimited text, photos, videos, contacts, locations and group messages for free to their family and friends who have an iOS device.
- Allows you to track your messages with delivery receipt and read receipt (which is optional).
- You can also find out if someone is typing to respond to your message like on an instant messenger.
- Messages are pushed to all your devices, so if you start a conversion on your iPhone, you will continue it on your iPad or iPod Touch.
- You can send messages over Wi-Fi as well as over 3G.
- Messages are encrypted over the air.
iMessage will be available only to all iOS 5 users.